At Miss Universe one of the questions for our online videos was, if you were a food what would it be? I answered that I would be a banana because it is versatile, in Jamaica we eat it green and we also eat it ripe; I believe, like the banana, I have something for everyone. People probably doubted my belief in the versatility of the banana. Now whilst I was impressed with my on the spot answer, I really love the flexibility of this fruit. In addition to it being long, firm, curved and full of energy – get your mind out of the gutter! Lol – you can do something with it in all its stages.
Although you can boil green banana to go with your main meals, use a ripe but firm banana in your smoothies or add them to your cereal, I am going to focus on the very ripe banana. I mean those bananas so ripe the skins are all black and they’re starting to feel mushy. I can never finish all my fruit so when I see these black-skinned bananas, I smile, add them to my zip lock bag and freeze them until I’m feeling for something sweet. The great thing about the three recipes – Deluxe Banana Pancakes, Banana Bread and Banana Fritters – is that they use practically the same ingredients just in different proportions. Try one, or all, and let me know. Enjoy!Deluxe Caramelised Banana Pancakes Total Prep & Cook Time: 30 mins Serves 2 (Makes 6 pancakes)
Pancakes1.25 cups all-purpose flour, sifted * 1 very ripe banana (the skin will be black) * 3 tsps baking powder * 1 cup of whole milk * 1 whole egg* ¼ tsp of salt * ¼ tsp cinnamon * ¼ cup of sugar * 1 tsp of vanilla extract * Dash of nutmeg (optional)
Caramelised Bananas1 ripe banana (firm), sliced * ¼ cup of sugar * 2 tbsp dark rum (optional) * 3 tbsp butter, melted
How to make it:
- Crush very ripe banana with a fork.
- Add all the ingredients for the pancakes and mix through thoroughly, whether with a fork or a whisk, until evenly mixed.
- Lightly grease a frying pan, with olive oil or spray, and add pancake mixture to the pan with a ladle, for each pan.
- Roll bananas in sugar
- In a separate pan add the butter and remaining sugar
- Stir until dissolved and then add the rum and bananas.
- Bring to boil and then simmer.
- Plate the pancakes and drizzle with caramelised bananas.
Ingredients4 very ripe bananas * 1.5 cups of flour * 2 tsp vanilla * 1 tsp baking soda * 1 tsp baking powder * 2 eggs, beaten * ¾ cup sugar ½ cup butter, melted * ½ tsp salt * 1 tsp cinnamon * 1 tbsp milk * 1/8 cup almonds slivers, chopped (optional)
How to make it:
- Preheat oven at 350˚
- Crush very ripe bananas with a fork.
- Combine with butter, eggs and vanilla and milk
- Then add sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and last add flour.
- Spray oil on loaf pan and add mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
TIP: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzled chocolateBanana Fritters Prep Time: 7 mins Cook Time: 12-18 mins Makes 9 fritters
Ingredients2 very ripe bananas * ½ cup of flour, sifted * ½ tbsp vanilla * ½ tsp baking powder * 1 egg, beaten * 1.5 tbsp sugar * 2 pinches salt ½ tsp cinnamon * ¼ cup milk * Sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)
- Crush bananas and combine with all the ingredients except flour and baking powder.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix evenly.
- Spoon mixture into greased pan over medium heat and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp sugar)
TIP: Serve at room temperature. Great snack!
Live, Love, Eat!