I know you are probably getting tired of me talking about Nobu but my dad and I went there during NYC’s restaurant week and shared an amazing dessert they called Piña Colada. It was light yet decadent and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. When I have a bad day I like to indulge in a high-calorie yummy meal or have lots of dessert, I could tell you the biological reasoning behind this behaviour but that’s not why you came to theyummytruth.com so I’ll spare you and give you the recipe I created inspired by my experience at Nobu.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
You need a hand mixer for this recipe unless you have arms made of steel.
- 1/4 cup pineapples (you can keep some more pineapple for garnish)
- 1/8 cup pineapple juice
- 1.25 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, chilled
- 1 tsp gelatin
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 5 tbsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Make the purée simply by blending the pineapple, the juice, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of sugar. Put it in the freezer to chill if you are making this dessert immediately, otherwise refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
- After sprinkling the gelatin over cold water and letting it rest, whip 1/2 cup heavy cream until it is foamy. Add 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt to the cream.
- Stir gelatin in a pot on the stove at the lowest temperature until it is melted and add to the cream while whipping. Finally add 1/4 cup of pineapple purée to the cream and mix gently to retain the air.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour (or more).
- Beat coconut cream, 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 tbsp of sugar until thick (the cream will separate from liquid). Scoop out thick cream leaving the liquid behind and set aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup heavy cream, vanilla and 1 tbsp of sugar until steak peaks form before adding the coconut cream mixture from previous step.
- Slice pineapple for garnish (I sliced the rings into pieces to make it easier to eat). Put your refrigerated pineapple concoction in a bowl, spread coconut cream on top and finish with fresh pineapple.
As always I want to know what you think.
Live, Love, Eat!